22.7% of the US population—which aggregates to 54.4 million people—is suffering from medically-diagnosed arthritis. The most prevalent type of arthritis is osteoarthritis, which affects more than half of the total affected population. With more than 78 million US citizens expected to be diagnosed with this disease by 2040, there’s a rising need for seeking immediate treatment for arthritis.
Recent research in this regard has urged researchers to look into the curative benefits of cannabidiol oil for arthritis. Results have shown that CBD application has healing potential for arthritic pain and inflammation without any prominent side-effects.
Here’s why CBD as a potential cure.
What is CBD?
It’s a type of cannabinoid that’s found in the marijuana herb. Contrary to popular belief, CBD is not a psychoactive drug that causes mind-altering changes in our brain. It’s important to distinguish between this and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is a chemical found in cannabis with psychoactive properties.
Each CBD product contains varying quantities of CBD oil, depending on the composition. It’s important to address the controversy surrounding the open use of medical marijuana because of its recreational popularity. CBD is extracted from hemp plants. Unlike marijuana plants which possess high levels of THC, hemp plants are selectively bred for medicinal purposes.
Popular for its pain-relieving properties, there’s growing interest among scientists and doctors about its potential benefit for arthritic pain.
CBD Oil and Arthritic Pain
Arthritis is the primary cause of disabilities in the US. In order to combat this disease and its consequences, the medical industry is beginning to accept CBD as promising therapy.
The most prevalent kinds of arthritis include:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA):This is an autoimmune disease that affects a patient’s joints, which results in inflammation. RA mostly impacts the limbs and results in painful swelling, and stiffness of joints.
- Osteoarthritis (OA):This disease is degenerative in nature because it attacks the bones and joint cartilage. The resulting pain makes joints stiff. The effects reach the hip, thumb joints, and also the knees.
Medical Evidence Over The Years
Because of its healing properties, cannabis and its various medicinal benefits have been explored in various studies:
- A studyconducted in the Department of Physiology & Pharmacology in 2011 proved that CBD helps relieve inflammation in rats. It showed how CBD works by stimulating pain receptors to alleviate pain.
- A reviewpublished in 2014 showed how, with current findings on samples of animals, scientists can make a breakthrough in the industry by devising a treatment for OA.
- A studyby Hammell et al., conducted in 2016 showed how transdermal application of CBD can help with inflammation and arthritic pain.
- A studyconducted by Philpott et al., in 2017 showed how CBD oil greatly relieved joint pain in patients of OA.
How It Works
Cannabinoids contact receptors in the immune system and the individual’s brain. Once such receptor—CB2—is a primary gatekeeper of pain and controls inflammation.
Once CBD enters the body, it triggers production of naturally-occurring cannabinoids that attach to CB2.
CBD works as a pain-reliever by managing the pain receptors in the immune system and reducing inflammation. This is also how CBD helps treat cases of chronic or acute pain.
Are you looking for relief from arthritic pain?
IndicaMD is a telehealth care provider that evaluates patients based on their medical history and offers a quick procedure for acquiring medical marijuana card California or New York.
You can easily consult a reliable medical marijuana doctors California or New York online through live video chat and avail an e-letter of recommendation. This letter can be further used to process the medical certificate without any trouble. If you’re in New York or California, we’re here to care for your concerns.