According to statistics from “Hope for Depression Research Foundation,” depression and anxiety affect more than 300 million people worldwide. Anxiety affects almost 4% of the population in the United States, which is around 9 million people. Recent studies have shown that medical marijuana improves mood and lowers depression among people diagnosed with clinical depression.
Many people are replacing prescribed medicines with medical marijuana to treat depression and anxiety. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are the two common cannabinoids used in cannabis products. Although, medical science has not released any conclusive results of using cannabis products to treat symptoms of depression and anxiety.
A study found that CBD oil reduced anxiety symptoms in people diagnosed with anxiety disorder. The participants’ brain activity was monitored during the study to observe how CBD oil triggered changes in blood flow to areas of the brain linked with anxiety. The findings revealed how CBD interacts with our brain to help improve anxiety symptoms.
How It Can Help
Most cannabis consumers use the drug to treat anxiety. Commonly reported benefits of marijuana include:
- Improved sleep
- Increased sense of relaxation
- Improved calmness
According to Sarah Peace, a licensed counselor from Washington, her client has reported more benefits than mentioned. They have reported better emotional health.
Her clients have reported that cannabis has helped them relieve symptoms related to:
- Insomnia related to anxiety
- Social anxiety
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Panic attacks
Risk Of Addiction
Addiction and dependence are both possible for cannabis users. Many people find it hard to keep themselves behind the lines of misuse or addiction. Frequent users of cannabis are addicted to the high, which makes it easy for users to start depending on cannabis.
Tips For Healthy Use
If you plan to use marijuana to treat your anxiety, keep a few things in mind to ensure you don’t end up worsening your anxiety symptoms and overall health.
- Start slow: It is always wise to start with low doses. Give it enough time to work on yourself before you decide to use more.
- Use CBD or THC: If you’re a first-timer, start with any product containing only CBD while avoiding THC as much as you can because THC tends to make anxiety symptoms worse.
- Purchase Cannabis from a dispensary: Qualified staff can offer you better guidance than a regular user. Trained staff can guide better based on the symptoms you’re looking to treat, and they can suggest you’re the right kind of cannabis according to your needs.
How To Get Medical Cannabis in New York Legally
Purchasing cannabis without a medical prescription is illegal in New York. To get marijuana for your medical conditions, you should consult a recognized health organization.
Plan to get medical marijuana? Indica MD provides medical marijuana cards through which you can buy medical marijuana from an authorized seller. Register yourself on our website and get evaluated by our medical marijuana doctors New York to receive your card.